Abdominoplasty surgery, also known as a tummy tuck, is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin and tissue from the abdomen, moves the location of the belly button and repairs/ tightens any weakened or separated abdominal muscles. Although most people would love the appearance of a slim midsection, not everyone is suitable for this procedure.
If you are considering a tummy tuck, it is important to see if you meet the criteria. You might be a good candidate if:
- You are at your goal weight and have maintained that for at least a few months prior to surgery.
- You are in good overall health. This surgery requires anesthesia, therefore you need a healthy heart and lungs. You must have a nutritious diet and no major comorbidities. You must be a non-smoker or you must quit a minimum of 4-6 weeks before and after surgery for optimal results
- You do not plan on becoming pregnant. This procedure is not recommended for those who wish to have more children. Pregnancy can separate the repaired muscles and cause the skin to stretch out again.
- You plan to maintain your weight. If you desire to lose more weight, then a tummy tuck is not right for you at this time. You should be at your ideal weight before considering this surgery.
- You have realistic expectations. Like any surgery, there will be a recovery period. It is essential that you understand what your recovery entails to determine if it is the right choice for you.
To determine if you are a good candidate for Abdominoplasty surgery, contact Dr. Modica today and schedule your consultation!
Dr. Arif Ahmad specializes in laparoscopic robotic surgery and has performed over 2,000 laparoscopic robotic surgeries. He is renowned in the Long Island area for his impeccable track record of safety and success. Dr. Ashley Modica joins Long Island Laparoscopic Surgery to perform body contouring surgery for patients after successful weight loss following bariatric surgery.