Weight Loss Surgery in Long Island, NY
Dr. Arif Ahmad founded the Bariatric program at Mather Northwell in 2004 and his program is recognized all over New York for its excellent track record of safety and success.
The Challenges of Being Overweight
There are many factors that cause morbid obesity which include the following:
- Genetic predisposition - Some individuals have a genetic predisposition to weight gain and when combined with lifestyle choices the disease of morbid obesity sets in.
- Lifestyle Choices - Poor diet, eating unhealthy food choices, sedentary lifestyle , being deskbound at work and lack of sleep can make one at risk of being obese.
- Morbid obesity is commonly indicative of several underlying health issues. This chronic condition has deprived many Americans of a healthy and happy life. On a daily basis, obese individuals find themselves struggling with even the slightest physical activity. They experience body pain, shortness of breath, limited body movement, and low self-esteem. Persons with severe weight problems also develop chronic health issues such as gallbladder disease, Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol level, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure, to name a few.
Obesity is a risky condition in itself, and morbid obesity multiplies that risk. Most overweight individuals have struggled to fight their condition, with minimal and short-lived success. Once the disease of morbid obesity sets in, it is a one way road for the majority of patients unless they utilize the tool of surgery to control the disease.
Weight loss surgery is the only effective option for the majority of individuals who suffer from morbid obesity. This is because multiple studies have shown that diet and exercise alone without the help of the tool of surgery works in a small minority of morbidly obese patients as far as sustained weight loss is concerned. Here in Long Island, NY, Dr. Arif Ahmad and his team of surgeons and nutritionists and support staff offer cutting edge methods and the latest Weight loss Surgery program to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
What You Should Know About Weight Loss Surgery
Weight loss surgery is currently the only effective option for the majority of patients suffering from morbid obesity. However, the decision to undergo weight loss surgery requires careful evaluation and consideration. Sufficient preparation, strong motivation, and full understanding of the programs (including the benefits and risks) are essential before considering surgery.
Weight loss surgery, also referred to as bariatric surgery, can help in the following ways:
- Weight loss surgery greatly improves satiety and curbs hunger and cravings by reducing the size of the stomach. This makes people feel satiated with less food, thus allowing them eat less. They do not have to constantly fight their hunger as they do on a diet and they are free from constant preoccupation with thoughts of food.
- Weight loss surgery brings about strong changes in hormones that control appetite and there are metabolic changes that promote weight loss.
Generally, weight loss surgery at Long Island has been proven to be very effective in helping people with weight problems achieve their goals. Weight loss surgery produces higher success rate of weight loss compared with traditional treatment that incorporates diet and weight loss tablet intake. For individuals who are morbidly obese, weight loss surgery is the best treatment.
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for Me?
Questions to Consider:
- Are you more than 80 to 100 pounds over your ideal body weight?
- Do you have health problems such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, or sleep apnea?
- Are you unable to achieve a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time by diet or exercise alone?
- Does your weight cause physical problems that interfere with family or work-related activities?
- Are you willing to take the first step to proactively make a lifestyle change in order to improve your health and quality of life?
- Are you well informed about the available surgical programs and the effects of these treatments?
- What is the track record of your surgeon and their program?
- Does the bariatric surgery program provide the needed support and aftercare to enhance your success?
- Does the bariatric program provide the personal attention that you need and deserve?
Types of Weight Loss Surgery
The four common types of weight loss surgery performed on patients that are at risk are:
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding
- Duodenal switch with biliopancreatic diversion
How We Can Help You
Dr. Arif Ahmad is renowned in the Long Island NY area as one of the best weight loss surgeons in Long Island, NY.
Dr. Ahmad and his team will help you achieve your weight loss goals through the following bariatric surgery procedures:
Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy is a restrictive form of bariatric surgery. In this surgical procedure, the surgeon will shrink the stomach to approximately 15 percent of the original size. Due to the reduced stomach size, patients are able to feel fuller on smaller portions of food.
Sleeve surgery also works by reducing the hunger hormone “Ghrelin.” Most of these ghrelin-produced cells are located in the fundal part of the stomach and are removed during this surgery by resection of this part of the stomach . .Dr Ahmad’s patients find that they have greatly reduced cravings and they are not hungry to the point that they have to be reminded to eat.
Sleeve surgery is a more effective procedure when used in conjunction with diet, exercise, and regular post-surgical visits with Dr. Arif Ahmad’s bariatric team.
The sleeve surgery has become the commonest weight loss operation world wide due to its simplicity and lack of significant adverse effects. There is no malabsorption as the intestines are unaltered and nutrtional deficiency is rare with sleeves. The sleeve is a very low maintenance operation and has no significant surgical issues once it heals satisfactorily.
Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass is considered the “Gold Standard” in weight loss surgery procedures because of its excellent long-term weight loss results. This surgical procedure is a restrictive and malabsorptive technique in weight loss. It restricts the amount of food a patient can eat as the stomach pouch is decreased in size. Additionally as part of the intestine is bypassed , some of the food consumed is not absorbed . To date, this procedure is still classified as one of the most successful bariatric weight loss options available.
Minimally Invasive Gastric Band Surgery
Gastric Band surgery involves placing an adjustable silicone tube that is formed into a ring around the proximal stomach. The Lapband surgery used to be a very common choice prior to the advent of the sleeve. With the introduction of Sleeve Gastrectomy, the number of lapband procedures have declined to only a handful in most programs.
Bariatric surgery is a tool and has to be used in conjunction with diet, exercise, and regular post-surgical visits with Dr. Arif Ahmad’s bariatric team.
Why Choose Dr. Arif Ahmad
Dr. Ahmad is a laparoscopic surgeon who performs a wide range of surgical services. These include bariatric and gastrointestinal procedures to treat chronic medical conditions such as obesity, diverticulitis, hernias, and cancer, to name a few. These surgical programs are carefully performed to help patients be in their best shape and healthiest state. Through a safe and minimally invasive procedure, patients can look and feel at their best.
Dr. Arif Ahmad is the trusted weight loss surgeon in Long Island, NY. He has perfected the utilization of the most advanced weight loss surgery procedures to provide his patients successful results every time. The results of each weight loss surgery may differ depending on the steps and the present condition of the patient, However, undergoing the procedure with Dr. Ahmad means that you can start living a new life as a healthier and happier person.
Achieve your ideal weight and a healthier life. Call us today to know how you can get the best weight loss surgery procedure by Dr. Arif Ahmad.