There are also other types of procedures that are non-surgical. The gastric balloon is one of these options whereby a gastric balloon is inserted into the mouth and esophagus. This is expeditiously done using an endoscope (tube fixated with a camera) to direct the surgeon to the stomach.
Once inside, this balloon will make one feel satiated.
Risks include nausea, possible bleeding either during insertion or removal, and risk of balloon rupture.
Information About the Intragastric Balloon
This involves placement of a soft balloon in your stomach. Using a non-surgical endoscopic approach the balloon is placed inside the stomach. During this time the patient is placed in our Medical Weight Management program.
It is currently not covered by insurance companies in the US.
Intragastric Balloon device works by taking up space in your stomach. Overall helps promotes smaller portion sizes and healthier, mindful eating and better lifestyle choices.
Procedure & Steps to Success
- Balloon is inflated to approximately a size of a grapefruit inside patients' stomach.
- After 6 months the balloon is removed.
- Patient remains on our Medical Weight Management program, for an additional 6 months.
Is the Intragastric Balloon Right for Me?
Below is a list of basic requirements a patient must meet to be considered for this procedure. If you feel you do not meet these requirements please call our office at 631-689-0220.
- BMI (BODY MASS INDEX) 30-35 (No Co-morbidities required)
- Patients must be willing to participate in a medically supervised program for up to 12 months.
Intragastric balloons are NOT covered under insurance and will be an out of pocket expense.
How long does procedure take and is there a hospital stay?
Dr. Ahmad’s average time for the Intragastric Balloon placement is about a half an hour. Intragastric Balloon placement is an outpatient procedure.
What’s the next step?
To register for a consultation appointment with Dr. Arif Ahmad and to discuss your options further, please fill out the form below.
Please fill out the form below with as much information as possible, this will help us expedite the processing of your information.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the registration form, please contact our office at .
Register for a Seminar
Other Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Procedures
- Robotic Assisted Bariatric Surgery
- Virtually Scarless Surgery
- Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch Surgery
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Adjustable Gastric Banding
- Intragastric Balloon
- Revisional Bariatric Surgery
- Band Over Bypass
- Adolescent Bariatric Programs