What is Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Health has become a big priority for everyone. There are so many lifestyle-related diseases and people want to stay healthy. It is for this reason that obese people prefer to undergo bariatric surgery as a way to shed the extra pounds. A gastric sleeve surgery is a procedure that reduces the size of the stomach drastically. It is a weight loss surgery that aims to help people struggling with obesity.
Who Qualifies For A Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Patients have to meet the following requirements to be eligible for a gastric sleeve surgery. This weight loss surgery is ideal for people who are 80-100 pounds overweight.
- You should have lived with obesity for at least three years
- You should have tried to lose weight using other methods without being successful
- The age limit is between 18 and 60 years
- Your BMI should be at least 40 or 35 with a medical condition related to morbidity.
- You must be willing to make lifestyle changes after the surgery
- You should have read and understood the risks and side effects of the surgery.
How the surgery is done
The gastric sleeve surgery is performed using Laparoscopic techniques. Laparoscopic techniques are used in weight loss surgeries to minimize scarring and allow a quick recovery. The surgery is done in the following procedure.
- The patient is injected with an anesthetic. The patient has to be full unconscious during the procedure.
- The surgeon makes three to five small incisions in the abdomen to use for the surgery.
- Three-quarter of the stomach is removed and the remainder is sown together. The remaining stomach has the form of a sleeve.
- The newly resized stomach is checked for any bleeding or leakage.
- The patient may be requested to spend 24 hours in the hospital for observation.
Benefits of a Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- There is no mal-absorption of food since no bypass of the digestive system is done.
- The patients have lower risks of developing deficiencies.
- Patients experience a shorter recovery time when laparoscopic techniques are used during the surgery.
- The gastric sleeve surgery reduces the production of the hunger hormone ghrelin.
- The surgery does not involve the introduction of foreign items to the body.
Obesity is becoming a national health problem. One of the most effective way to lose that extra pounds is to undergo a Gastric Sleeve Surgery. This weight loss surgery is a simple procedure that can change the patient’s life.
Any overweight person is looking to have a gastric sleeve surgery as a weight loss method. The aim of the surgery is to lose weight and transition to a healthy lifestyle without complications. To achieve this, the potential patient should find a reputable doctor with a good track record.
Dr. Ahmad is a reputable surgeon in the state of New York. He has performed over 1500 successful gastric sleeve surgeries during his practice. Dr. Ahmad uses laparoscopic techniques that leave smaller scars compared to one long scar. He has over 30 years of experience in the medical practice. He is a pioneer of laparoscopic and was among the first surgeons to perform one in Long Island. The care and attention offered by his staff before, during and after the weight loss surgery are of the highest quality. Do not hesitate to reach Dr. Ahmad’s office if you are in need of a weight loss surgery.
CALL US AT 631-689-0220 AND BOOK AN APPOINTMENT TODAY!