* Your weight loss results may vary. All surgeries present risks.
Dr. Arif Ahmad is proud to be one of the first surgeons in the Northeast region to obtain IRB (Institutional Review Board) approval for the Banded Plication. He has presented the Banded Plication at the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery conference on November 11, 2011 in Westchester, NY.
The Banded Plication is a new investigational procedure that is a combination of the Gastric Banding and the Gastric Plication. It involves reducing the stomach volume by imbricating and stitching (plicating) the outer curvature part of the stomach reducing its size. There is no stapling or rerouting the intestinal tract with this procedure, like with the Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy.
A study suggests that the gastric plication will have the weight loss results of the gastric bypass* with complication rate anticipated to be similar to the gastric banding*, being able to combine the best of both worlds!
- No rerouting of intestinal track
- Not a malabsorptive procedure
- No cutting of the stomach
- Less adjustments needed
- Significant long and short term weight loss
- Possibly reversible however no long term data to prove